Our Medical Internships are among the most popular projects we offer and for good reason. Medicine interns travel to the world’s most incredible destinations, develop skills, and provide medical care and education to those who need it.
When you do a Medical Internship abroad, you gain more than just experience. During your trip, you’ll be immersed in a different culture, helping you build empathy. Create lifelong memories with fellow interns as you explore a new country.
Now’s the time to book your Medical Internship abroad for next year!
Our top 5 Medical Internships for 2023:
- Medicine Internship - Tanzania
- Medical Internship - Nepal
- Medical Internship - Peru
- Medicine Internship - Cambodia
- Medical Internship - Ghana
Find out more about each project below. And don’t forget to browse our Medicine Projects to see the full range of destinations looking for Medical volunteers.
Why Should You Do a Medical Internship Abroad?
Internships are the best way to learn the practical skills needed to work in medicine. However, some people don’t want to intern in their home country or simply can’t find a suitable placement.
Fortunately, going abroad might be a better option. You’ll have the chance to broaden your horizons and gain experience that helps you stand out.
By doing a Medical Internship abroad, you:
- Build soft skills like leadership, communication, and resilience.
- Develop cultural competence by working with people from different backgrounds.
- Learn about health issues and diseases that may not be prevalent in your home country.
- Discover what you’re capable of and gain new confidence.
- Make connections, enhance your CV, and open up a world of opportunities.
Learn more about the benefits of doing Medical Electives abroad.
Which Medical Internship is Right for You?
- Aged 15-18? Choose a High School Special Medicine Internship. Become a Medical volunteer, even if you don’t have any experience.
- Aged 16+ and considering a career in medicine? While some Medicine Internships come with requirements, many do not, besides an interest in healthcare and a willingness to learn.
- Medical student? Choose a Medical Elective that will be tailored to your experience level, with opportunities to complete more complicated work. Do a medical student internship abroad to gain the experience you need to graduate.
From pre-med projects to Gap Year placements, we support interns across a wide range of ages and experience levels. All we ask is that you come with an open mind and a willingness to get stuck in.
For more inspiration, read the story of experienced Medical intern, Sara, and compare it with younger Medicine intern, Devon.
5 Best Medical Internships Abroad
Ready to become a Medical intern? Here are the five best Medicine Projects to consider for 2023.
1) Medicine Internship in Tanzania
Home to the world’s most incredible wildlife, including the African Big Five, Tanzania is the ideal destination for animal fans. You’ll live in the city of Arusha, working in a health clinic or hospital. Although it’s a built-up urban area, you’ll be at the gateway to some of Africa’s most scenic national parks.
There is a great need for Medical interns in Arusha, where hospitals are often poorly maintained, understaffed, and under-resourced. Your help will be hugely appreciated, but expect a fast-paced, busy environment. Weekend safaris and hikes around Kilimanjaro are the perfect way to relieve stress.
- No medical experience necessary.
- Provide support where it’s most needed.
- Give checkups to those who can’t afford them.
- Live surrounded by mountains and stunning scenery
- Spot lions, elephants, and more on a safari.
2) Medical Internship Nepal
Home to the world’s tallest and most spectacular mountains, Nepal is a uniquely spiritual and awe-inspiring place. You’ll be based in either Kathmandu or Chitwan. Kathmandu is a sprawling city of around 3 million. Healthcare resources there are often spread thin, especially in rural areas, where your help will be much appreciated.
Chitwan is Nepal’s medical hotspot, being a magnet for the region’s top doctors. This is a fantastic place to intern if you’re looking to learn from the best to advance your studies or career. It’s also on the doorstep of Chitwan National Park, where you can spot amazing animals like Bengal tigers, rhinos, and sloth bears.
- Help provide crucial support to hospitals in Kathmandu.
- Work alongside renowned medical staff in Chitwan.
- Offer health checkups and advice to citizens in rural areas.
- Marvel at the majesty of the Himalayas.
- Explore ancient temples and visit a national park.
- Interact with other interns in one of our most popular destinations.
3) Medical Internship Peru
60% of Peru is covered by the Amazon Rainforest, making it a country of incredible biodiversity. With a rugged landscape comprising forests, mountains, coastlines, and deserts, it can be hard for everyone to receive adequate healthcare. That’s why interns like you are needed.
Medicine interns are based in the mystical city of Cusco, which was the capital of the Incan Empire. Wander ancient streets that are draped across the Andes Mountains. This is also a common starting point for anyone wishing to visit the spectacular site of Machu Picchu.
Cusco’s hospitals and health centres tend to be busy and understaffed. Infectious disease is a major challenge here and you’ll observe first-hand how medical professionals are working to keep the population safe.
Note: Although you don’t need medical experience to complete this internship, you should speak intermediate Spanish to communicate with hospital staff and patients.
- Immerse yourself in a fast-paced medical environment.
- Provide free checkups to patients who can’t afford them.
- A chance to perfect your Spanish language skills.
- Live in an incredible mountain setting.
- Walk through the canopy of the Amazon Rainforest.
- Visit Machu Picchu - one of the world’s most famous wonders.
4) Medicine Internship Cambodia
A charming combination of ancient temples, modern shopping centres, and local marketplaces, Phnom Penh is Cambodia’s lively capital. As a Medical intern, you’ll be based in the large hospitals that are found there. With over 17,000 patients a year, there’s always a demand for your help and support.
This is one of our most popular destinations that has been home to countless happy memories. Cambodian people are peace-loving, kind-hearted, and welcoming. It’s also a country with a tragic history that you’ll no doubt learn about in local museums. Your leisure time will involve a trip to the world-renowned Angkor Wat temple complex.
You can join this project at any time because it runs year-round. Take advantage of this flexibility and gain medical experience in a completely new environment.
Note: Unlike some of our other projects, the Medicine Internship in Cambodia requires you to have at least a year of medical experience. This means it is aimed at those already studying medicine or working in a healthcare setting.
- Suitable for more experienced medical students.
- Work in busy, modern hospitals.
- Shadow English-speaking doctors.
- Complete basic health checks in underprivileged areas.
- Trek in the jungle or spot dolphins at the beach.
- Explore the sublime and spiritual Angkor Wat.
5) Medical Internship Ghana
Ghana is one of Africa’s most peaceful and welcoming countries. With a proud West African identity and flourishing cities, you’ll quickly come to love the local culture. As a Medical intern, you can either stay in the capital, Accra, working in a large hospital, or head for the hills.
In the Akuapem Hills, you’ll be surrounded by rich red dirt and lush green vegetation. This will be a quieter experience with less nightlife than Accra, but a closer connection to the more rural communities of Ghana. The villagers are fun-loving, throwing street festivities that revolve around delicious local cuisine.
Ghana is home to a range of popular projects, giving you a chance to connect with other volunteers and interns.
- No experience needed.
- Work in an English-speaking country.
- Detect tropical diseases like malaria.
- Help educate locals on living a healthy lifestyle.
- Dance to local music or explore slave forts in Cape Coast.
- Cross the jungle canopy in Kakum National Park.
Next Steps for Aspiring Interns
Ready to start your journey towards becoming a Medical intern? We’ll support you every step of the way.
- Get in touch to let us know which destinations you’re interested in.
- Discuss with us your unique circumstances, needs, and ambitions.
- We offer suggestions about which Medicine Project may be right for you.
- Submit the simple online application form and pay your 1,195 AED deposit.
- Begin your preparations, start fundraising, and make your final payment.
- Head out on the adventure of a lifetime!
- Return with new skills, medical experience, and lifelong memories.
Medical Internships are a chance to discover new worlds while building up crucial experience in medicine. Whether you want to advance your career or just help out in disadvantaged communities, this is an opportunity not to miss.
Want to Join a Medicine Internship?