Peace Corps Alternatives: Projects Abroad vs. Peace Corps
If you are looking for an alternative to the Peace Corps or similar programmes, Projects Abroad could be the perfect fit for you. There are some important similarities and differences between Projects Abroad and the Peace Corps, including requirements, flexible durations, and support.
Differences between the Peace Corps and Projects Abroad
There are various key differences between the Peace Corps, or similar programmes, and Projects Abroad:
- Time Commitment – Projects Abroad has programs available from 2 weeks to 1 year.
- Variety – Projects Abroad offers hundreds of programs in over 25 destinations around the world.
- Choice – You get to choose exactly where you would like to go and what you would like to do.
- Requirements – Most Projects Abroad programs do not require any previous experience, degrees, or foreign language abilities. We accept about 95% of our applicants.
- Age – Our placements are open to volunteers and interns as young as 16. We even offer special programs for school and college age students.
- Volunteer Community – You can spend your time abroad within a community of like-minded volunteers from all over the world.
- Host Families – You can truly experience the country you are living and working in by staying with a local host family.
- Overseas Support –You’ll have the 24-hour support of or trained in-country staff.
An Alternative Option to the Peace Corps
Unlike the Peace Corps though, Projects Abroad offers 24 hour staff support and short term opportunities. Our programs are also open to school and college-age students all the way through to retirees, and most placements do not require a degree in the field.
The Peace Corps or Projects Abroad?
Projects Abroad offers a complete cultural experience. In addition to working with locals at your placement, you will also have the opportunity to live with a host family. You will find them incredibly welcoming and they will doubtlessly be eager to find out all about you and your life back home. In addition to your host family, you’ll also be surrounded by a vibrant volunteer community.
If you would like to live and volunteer in a foreign country with like-minded individuals where you can make a real difference no matter how old you are or how long you're staying, Projects Abroad is perfect for you!