Public Health Coordinator - Belize
Vacancy for: Project Coordinator - Public Health
Based: San Pedro, Belize
How to apply: Use ‘Apply’ button on this page. Please do not send applications by email.
At Projects Abroad, we’re passionate about travelling with a purpose. We love travel, and we love making a positive difference in communities around the world. We have projects running in dozens of countries, where we send volunteers to help with anything from medicine and healthcare to education and conservation.
We don’t just dream about making a difference in the world. We do it every day.
Our fundamental mission is to provide support to critical areas and promote a cultural exchange that will benefit both our volunteers and the communities in which they work.
We’re looking for an experienced professional in a medically related field to help to manage the Public Health project of Projects Abroad Belize.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Assist foreign volunteers in the medical assessment, referral, medical care and support of Public Health beneficiaries to ensure improved health standards for target communities
- Develop and maintain medical records for all public health beneficiaries in combination with volunteers and key stakeholders
- Lead health awareness campaigns and run events to educate the local communities on local healthcare issues
- Conduct workplace introductions for all new arrivals and ensure they understand their role and have everything they need to do worthwhile work in the Public Health project
- Ensure all Public Health volunteers have a set structure, resources and support for their placements
- Ensure that volunteers are comfortable during their stay in Belize
- Take volunteers to a hospital when they are ill and assist them in their daily needs
The job is busy and can be physically demanding so you should be prepared to work flexible hours and be willing to travel within Belize when necessary.
- Be currently based in Belize and hold a valid work permit
- Hold a Bachelor's degree in Nursing, Public Health or any other medically related field
- Have at least 2 years' relevant experience in the medical field (working experience with foreign nationalities is advantageous)
- Have a thorough knowledge of first aid and basic medical care
- Be fluent in English, both spoken and written
- Be proficient in the use of Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Internet
- Have strong interpersonal skills
- Have excellent organisational skills (event management skills ideal)
- Have the ability to take initiative, be proactive and autonomous
You will be under a one-year contract, after passing a three-month probationary period. An offer of employment depends on a personal interview and satisfactory references.
To apply, please complete the application form and upload:
- A two-page CV clearly outlining your relevant experience to this role
- A one-page cover letter, telling us why you’re perfect for this role
Start date: As soon as possible